I just had the weirdest train of thought ever.
I woke up at 7.30 am despite having slept at 2 am, and was arrested by a random urge to create a stop motion video of a winter landscape. I've never made a stop motion video before, though. I just had this visual image of making a snow globe-type winter scene, using water and glitter, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be technically difficult and materially consuming. Plus it's going to be horrendously time-consuming. Water = wet hands = constant need to dry my hands before touching the camera.
I made this urge my Facebook status, and then edited my "Write something about yourself" column and wrote "arrested by a creative spark".
And then it occurred to me to look closely at the word "arrested". Wow, it has connotations of punishment and subjugation; perhaps I feel like I am a criminal and feels helpless to my creative instinct? And then I think, hmm, arrested, a-rest; implying a disruption of rest - it IS true, when you get arrested, your restful state of being is disturbed and you get all strung up from not having full liberty to do whatever you want, because you have to do things that something else mandates.
Wow. I am arrested by a creative spark. I almost feel the sheer heft of this inspirational urge, and might actually start working on it if: I had a tank, glitter, and an empty space to create a mess with.
Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Haha I often get random urges to find the etymology of certain words the way you were wondering about "arrest".
You should check out this site: www.etymonline.com
jon: Niceee. Thanks for the link :D
Post a Comment