Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Attention-seeking whore.

I have to say that I am definitely getting a lot more attention from random people than I used to. Maybe it's because I'm actually going out more compared to last year, or maybe it's because I developed some new-found confidence that I didn't use to have. I'm guessing it's the bleached hair, though.

I was the last person to step into an already full lift and not suprisingly, the door didn't close. Actually, I don't think the lift was overweight. It couldn't have been, since a third of the space was taken up by a stroller. I think my big bulky bag was in the way of the doors sensors and that's why they didn't close. So I stepped out of the lift back into the lobby. These three Caucasian men were there too, and one of them smilingly said, "Too fat, huh?"

I replied in an unintentionally deadpan manner, "I need to lose weight."

And then they laughed.

So when the next lift came, one of them (I don't know who, they all looked the same, i.e. boisterous ang moh men) said "after you", so okay, fine, I stepped in ahead of them. One of them said, "So if anything happens it'll be me who has to lose weight and not you." Cue laughter. Then one of them looked at me and said, "Nervous?" And another said, "You don't want the lift beeping." Cue more laughter.

I was the first to leave, and when I did, they said bye, and I said bye too.

It is so weird! I don't think I was vaguely humourous. Is chatting people up really based on talking lamely? I don't quite get these social dynamics. But I think if I am to play the game, I have to know the rules. Right?

Excerpt of conversation:

Person A: "Pretty girls are always so bitchy."
*pause*
Person B to Person C: "Are you bitchy?"
Person C: "Are you saying I am pretty?"
*collective mock-accusatory noises*

******

Need. Shoes. Comfortable and cute flat covered shoes. Anybody can introduce nice shoe shops, either online or offline? I generally like Korean shoe sprees. I actually like the triple-strap mary-jane shoe thing, but I hesitated for too long and now I can no longer find it. Eh, good stuff must share ok!

I'm also looking for basic tank dresses in black and white. Basically like a tank top that is extra long. Somehow, it is IMPOSSIBLE to find basics like these. This American Apparel racerback dress is more or less what I'm looking for, but the neckline and the racerback seems like it is cut too high. I like this Urban Outfitters PE tunic because it looks decently opaque, but it's too short. This Forever 21 tank looks like it could make the cut, but why must there be that god-awful contrast stitching running down the back of the tank? Am I being too fussy? All I want is a basic tank dress. Casual everyday dresses always have icky details that are dead giveaways of their bad quality. I'm okay with cheapo bad quality stuff, but I don't need useless details that tell the whole world about it.

My shopping philosophy. :)

3 comments:

cherrybloom said...

have! jurong point, though you have to be real patient in scouring the shops. i saw one nice black basic tank dress at one of the shops on the second floor. not sure whether there's any instock left though :)

xsolute said...

hhm..plain tank? well..ang moh staple shop like topshop, mango etc should hv..if you don't mind cheap ones, ya. dakra at jurong pt, harbourfront, chinatown has decent and sibek long plain tank for like..ehm $8?? or $10

Jin said...

cherrybloom: Gosh Jurong Point is way too far! You buy for me and send to me by mail lah! I've been spoilt by online shopping...

xsolute: I saw the perfect tank dress at Topshop but it didn't come in the colour I want. I might have to visit Chinatown or Harbourfront soon.. Dakra, is it?