Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Time is running out.

I was sitting alone on the grandstand, doing my usual stoning thing, when a revelation hit me. I know, utterly random and unwarranted. But something significant occurred to me.

We're all adults, or at least going to be proper ones in a couple of years. But we're still mucking about like kids! Some of us look barely our age. Some of us still have to have their friend "chope" a seat for them. Some of us need an escort accompanying us everywhere; to meet teachers, to submit homework, even to pee. Some of us are still squeamish when talking about sex. Why this childish dependency? Why the immature narrow-mindedness? Yet these are traits that will probably be carried on into adulthood. People who are squeamish now will probably be squeamish forever, growing up into narrow-minded, conservative adults. I'm saying this because at the grand age of 17 going on 18 (Wow the last time I said XX going on XX, it was 13 and 14 respectively. I feel old.), we're old enough to have our characters pretty much fixed, yet too young to have completely rid ourselves of the dependency we have on others. I wouldn't label it as mutual interdependence; it's just plain dependence.

And what's scary is that it's almost too late for change now. Are we going to stay like this? I suppose this is how immaturity translates into adulthood. Pack mentality, corporate bitchiness, etc. It's frightening. Imagine how productivity would drop if everytime a woman needed to pee and the rest of the office trots along.

Well, and all these stemmed from just watching kids kicking a ball on the field and running in endless circles around the track. And I, am one of them.

**********

Hmmm. Thursdays are my least favourite. This is how I generally feel over the course of a school week.

Monday: Shit. School again.

Tuesday: I made it through Monday blues, so things are looking up!

Wednesday: Halfway through, doing well...

Thursday: WILL THE WEEK EVER END?!

Friday: SALVATION!

Rinse and repeat. Yawn. My days are so predictable now. It also helps that I only see three different teachers on Mondays, and KI is one of them, so it's damn slack. I have two free periods on Wednesdays where I just hang out in the library and read my beloved New Scientist or Discover magazines, or sometimes sleep. Thursdays are terrible because my day is really long, and I have tuition in the evening. I usually end up brain dead by 9pm. Thursday nights are pretty depressing. When the mind is tired, it wanders into dangerous territory and starts thinking bad things.

But today has been good. The week has been pretty good so far. Mmm hmm!

Oh yea. I watched 27 Dresses with Gerald last Saturday, but the newspapers say that it's only opening today. Which is really strange. Maybe it was a hallucination? Hah. Anyway. Vivien has once again repeated that I am the smartest person she knows. Which leads me to be quite curious what quantifying evidence does she actually have. I suppose I'll have to figure it out myself. (Vivien topped KI last year!!!!!!!!)

Happy one month in the mortal realm, my dear nephew Aidan. I hope you'll soon learn that the months to come won't be as blissfully ignorant as your first.

P.S. The Ferragamo Varina ballet flats are soooo chic. I swear, when I'm rich I'll get one in each colour.

No comments: