Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Kids.

After a day out walking about, I propped my feet up on the easy chair, only to find that my toe was bloody!

I was absolutely horrified to see my toes in such a bloody mess. I didn't feel any pain at all while I was walking, and I didn't deign to look downwards when I had removed my footwear. It's strange how my pain mechanism has failed. I wonder why I didn't even get the slightest hint that my toenail had cracked. Maybe I'm so used to ignoring any pain that I get when wearing shoes, because shoes are the bane of womens' lives.

I inspected my shoe, and...

Gross! So much blood, and no pain at all. I don't know how I'm gonna clean it out. I suppose I'll just have to leave it in. Wouldn't matter anyway. No one sees the inside of my shoes.

I tutored some Primary Four kids English today, and my verdict is that kids are infinitely interesting creatures. This one particular kid didn't seem to mind my incessant questioning (I love people who don't ask me the questions I ask them, because 1. I get to observe them without revealing too much of myself first; 2. My questions can be quite a pain in the ass to answer) and he let me in on many unsavoury details of his life.

"I don't have any friends in school. Everyone all calls me 'chou chou'. Means 'smelly smelly'."

"Why do they call you that?"

"I don't know. Everyone just say."

Awww. I'll be his friend! He's a second generation Chinese, so he speaks in dialect to his grandparents.

"What do you speak at home?" I asked.

"Chinese word."

"Chinese word? You mean Chinese?"

"No no, not Chinese. Chinese word."

"So how would you say 'I am hungry' in Chinese word?"

*warbles some foreign-sounding string of words*

Yea, it was pretty fun.

I learnt so many things at the library! I read How To Build A Time Machine by Paul Davies. I finally understand why things cannot achieve the speed of light. And why there cannot be a naked singularity. And what singularities were in the first place. And Boltzmann brains! I read this book on fractals, but I practically skimmed through all the words and just looked at the amazing pictures.

I'm finally free to explore all my geeky pursuits! It's so mind-boggling, all the universe stuff. A ten-dimensional universe would have space on the x and y axis, and time on the z-axis. I'm finding it quite difficult to grapple with that notion...

No comments: