Gripe No. 1: It's quite far from my house. It's not THAT far, like what Jurong or Tuas would be, but definitely not considered convenient.
Gripe No. 2: Omigosh omigosh it's my first time working. What if they bully me at work, what if I screw up, what if I overdress or underdress, I'll be utterly embarrassed.
Gripe No. 3: Ten-hour day. Fucking long, can.
On the upside, the pay is decent, and I don't have to be on my feet. But...
Gripe No. 4: I dislike dealing with people. Service is so not my kind of thing.
Gah what if they reject me oh my oh my. Then pretend I didn't say anything.
**********
I've always found the idiom "great minds think alike" one that stupid people could use to comfort themselves. It makes it okay for them to do something stupid as long as someone else is doing it too. And by glorifying both individuals, there's a shared sense of importance, but also responsibility. Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ.
Anyways, I really liked the article "Meow, read my SMSes" in yesterday's Life section. The writer, Jeremy Au Yong, wittily captures the essence of redundant SMSes. He utilises parentheses, which add a comic touch, but anymore it's bordering on the excess. There are at least four in the article! However, it's generally used to good effect, so they can be excused. Here are a few choice quotes.
"I do not make this sweeping stereotypical generalisation without basis. (I make it without research.)"
"To be able to sustain such a textual relationship, one must necessarily delve into the realm of superfluous, random, pointless messages - sometimes known as the 'good morning/good night' SMS. These messages are of absolutely no use to two people not romantically interested in each other."
"Friends I discussed this mater with all admitted having sent someone they were interested in similar completely unsolicited messages."
" 'Yawn, so sleepy :o' or 'So many ppl in Orchard Road today' or 'I feel like a milkshake' were among some examples."
"It(the SMSes) provides the receiver no useful information apart from forcing him or her, for a moment at least, to think about you."
'Tis true! But these messages don't work... They never do. :(
Do watch this video, Potential Break Up Song by Aly & AJ!
Look, I hardly ever post up videos, thus subjecting you to minutes of pointless shit that you may not want to waste your time looking at because when you're watching a video you can't really switch windows midway unless you pause but that's extremely interruptive, but owing to how rare I post these things up... At least just watch the segment at 1:25. Okay, er, I know embedded videos show the time in reverse, so just do some math hor. It isn't too much to ask, is it. It's really just a lame ass poppy song. But it's cuteeee.
Hmmm, I tried making French toast, in the toaster. It makes sense, right? French toast should be toasted, not fried in a pan! This is how it turned out.
I basically just soaked the bread in egg mixed with sugar, and shoved it into the toaster atop a sheet of greaseproof baking paper, which it adhered most resiliently to, as you can see by its vertical position. I also tried using aluminium foil, but it still stuck.
There, French Toast. I make seriously weird shit, man. I also baked the Mrs Fields cookies, but this time with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. I failed to bake the nuts beforehand, so they weren't crunchy.
I am quite nervous. I hope the manager guy doesn't intimidate me with his professionalism. I feel like such a noobcake. Bah.


2 comments:
LOL I think I'm actually guilty of sending such SMSes. I think I'm selfish ><"
Haha nice to see that you're enjoying life. Sad to hear about your KI tutor... But if mine were posted elsewhere I wouldn't be affected much (if a more interesting tutor comes in XD)
Many people I know are heading out for job stints! Cool imo... (cooler than planting myself in a research lab but I love what I'm doing anyway)
-cleav
cleaven: Hey, nice to hear from you after so long!
It's not necessarily selfish to send such SMSes... just attention-grabbing, perhaps? But that could be considered selfish.
Being in a research lab is way cooler! Better than making unsolicited telephone calls...
Post a Comment