There's such a wide variety of people, that it makes me wonder where I truly stand. I'm not exactly in the pursuit of deep philosophical truths, but neither am I the ultimate hedonist. Appearances are truly deceptive. He could be a compulsive wanker, she could be a nymphomaniac. The sordid truths are too repulsive, but they are still truths. And isn't knowing the truth good? Obviously, not all the time, but it's supposed to work itself out in the long run.
Where should my values lie? With every encounter with someone whose a little more liberal than the rest, the slider on my values spectrum slowly descends in the direction of the depths of moral decadence. I try to accommodate for the "bad" people, try to tolerate and understand them, and perhaps even eventually embracing their beliefs, believing myself to be much too anal about certain things.
But could I be compromising too much of my values? Maybe they are the ones who are wrong, not I! But how would I ever know? Alas, this is the predicament I've landed myself in for pulling myself out of my comfort zone.
And if you think NJC is bleak, you are wrong. There are the most interesting personalities. You just gotta know where to look. It scares me sometimes. Brrr.
*********
Funny how self-righteous people are usually wrong. If you're right enough, you've no need to be self-righteous for the truth would be painfully evident!
right = self-evident
not evident = the need to prove the evidence
Therefore
self-righteous /= self-evident
And since
right /= wrong
In conclusion
self-righteous = wrong!
Right = Self-evident
Wrong = Self-righteous
Hahaha I don't know half of what I'm equating. Of course, there's the underlying assumption that whatever's right is self-evident, but we all know that's wrong because not everything's evident to everybody.
*********
I think I just ate mouldy cheesecake. Or maybe it's mushroom-flavoured?
Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
In my opinion, ethics aren't subjective. Not at all. Ethics are universal. What's subjective is morality. Morality, which has been steadily in the decline since the advent of the mass media. Just my two cents' worth at least.
=)
I can think of a few examples where people who were right were thought of as wrong by the whole world.
um
einstein?
galileo?
Sometimes people prove themselves to be right.
As for me, I use the process of proving myself to sort out my thoughts. ;)
oh and isn't Hedonism just another philosophical theory?
I don't get your comparison.
some guy: What ethics are just depends on what dictionary you refer to, eh? I personally feel that ethics and morality are just different words that describe the same meaning, but I'm not some etymologist or whatever so I can't be sure.
yk: You shouldn't use the process of proving yourself to sort out your thoughts. What if in the midst of sorting your thoughts/proving yourself, you realised you were wrong? Sort out your thoughts inwardly, dear.
Hedonism. Ah. I meant it in the modern context.
As for your examples... I suppose there are always exceptions to everything. Levitation defies the law of gravity, doesn't it? Etc, etc.
inwardly, my brain never gets around to formulating a conclusive whole argument to justify my stand.
if I turn out to be wrong, I apologize and go "woops."
"funny how self-righteous people are usually wrong"- whats so funny about that? so what if they are wrong thats just your opinion they think they are right so you have no right to laugh at them because I dont laugh at you for presenting this stupid argument though I think its wrong to think that its funny that self-righteous people are usually wrong
"if your' re right enough, you've no need to be self-righteous for the truth would be painfully evident!"- well i suppose if the arguement is so evident and right enough you dont even have to provide evidence to prove that this arguement is right. Apparently there must be something wrong with your argument.
"Right=self-evident"- But there are different evident that proves different points of view. How do you know that something that is truefully right? That has to tie in with different people's values/ethics/wateva and they might have a evidence to prove what they think is right is right.
"Right /= wrong"- Again thats up to people's opinions. Nothing is ever truly right or wrong.If you managed to convince the whole world that your idea is right then that must be wrong because you are provding evidence in process of being self-righteous that makes you wrong.
Perhaps you will like to give an example to substantiate your idea further.I dont wish to further substantiate my answer because its self-evident and thus must be right.
ragnarox13: Your very argument is a paradox in itself, but since I have a little time to spare, I shall humour you.
With regards to my taste in humour: What I find funny may not be what you find funny. Deal with it.
With regards to my opinion: My opinion is my opinion. So what makes you think I should care about yours, since you obviously don't care for mine?
With regards to my rights: Is it up to you to determine what rights I have or not?
With regards to universal truth: There isn't something that's universally right. Deal with it.
Yes. You may argue further but I've long since tired of this argument.
Post a Comment