Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Monday, July 30, 2007

Flavour of the week.

In my adolescence, one of the first questions I'd ask an acquaintance bordering on being bestowed the "friend" label was to ask her who she liked. If someone was to be termed your good friend, it's one of those things you just had to know about her. Crushes were important things, and they were hush-hush, valuable secrets that good friends trade.

The concept of liking someone "for fun" only occurred to me recently. It used to be pretty long and drawn-out, but at least it was mellow and sweet. Now my crushes are intense but brief. Temporal. Brevity. (I just felt like using those words. They're so dramatic, but I've no idea how to insert them into daily interactions. What a pompous ass I'd sound if I ever attempt to.) Maybe I've become more superficial. But wouldn't that only enhance what's meant to be meaningful by contrast?

It used to be almost criminal to be attracted to someone else when you're attached. It's like you've gotta be utterly committed and faithful and you can't even glance at someone else. It seems perfectly alright now, as long as you have a clear conscience and you don't have any intentions of getting the girl. After all, eye candies are harmless, aren't they? They certainly don't pose a genuine threat to a strong relationship! Or do they?

Well. Everything's becoming so saturated and concentrated, it's very easy to get desensitised from the little pleasures in life.

Ooh.

No comments: