Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Hemicosahedron - huh?

I have this closet geek side of me which comes into full force during breaks which I spend in the library. I was reading an article in Discover about regular multi-dimensional shapes. Er, yea.

Each side of an 11-cell is a shape called a hemicosahedron, (a.k.a. a hemi-icosahedron). You can visualise it as half an icosahedron that is folded into an octahedron with some missing outer faces, plus some extra internally coinciding and some interpenetrating extra surfaces. (Words don't really suffice here.)

Well, I'm glad they know no one understands them.



You're in luck, because I happen to have animated images (I hope they work on the blog) of an octahedron (8-sided) and an icosahedron (20-sided). Now, you can try your best to imagine half an icosahedron being folded into an octahedron to form a hemicosahedron. :D

Check out this cool novella, Flatland. It's written from the point of view of a two-dimensional square, who talks about his explorations to lands of other dimensions. I'm not halfway through yet, but it's pretty interesting. Read about it in Wikipedia.

4 comments:

Mr A said...

hello, this comment has nothing to do with your post.
this might sound a bit silly. Because you have been spending some time here in the summer, i am wondering if you could tell me what candy or snack can be found in the states but not in singapore (other than chewing gums), and that you would recommend buying. i am asking because my mum will be returning to singapore next week, and I am thinking of getting something for her to bring back to singapore for relatives. thank you.

Jin said...

purpledog13: Wow, that's a deceptively easy question.

Jelly Belly, Starbursts, Mike & Ike, Hershey's Symphony... I don't know, way too many, and I don't really dig American candy.

Mr A said...

thank you for replying.

you mean jellybean, starbursts and hershey's symphony are not available in singapore meh? sorry, i have never been a candy person since my days in singapore.

Anonymous said...

Hope you guys don't mind me interrupting... (: Starburst is available in Singapore.