Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Monday, January 11, 2010

How to minimise impact in a car VS pedestrian accident

I was waiting to cross the road, when it occurred to me that if a car is about to hit someone, the car shouldn't brake. I'm not good with physics, but intuitively, if the car slows down and hits a person, the person will bounce off, right? This poor victim will thus suffer from two impacts: from the car, and from thudding onto the ground after bouncing off the car.

But if the car doesn't slow down, and only starts slowing down after having hit the poor guy, the victim will "stick" onto the car and travel with it. The victim will only softly slump onto the ground when the car comes to a full stop.

It makes sense, right? So, if you're a car driver on the verge of hitting someone, don't bother braking!

I apologise if I offend any physics enthusiasts by my faulty thinking. But feel free to rectify my potentially inaccurate intuition.

No comments: