Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving. I knew it was a holiday, but the only real indication that led me to realise that the holiday was as big a deal as it actually is is when professors started to wish us happy Thanksgiving. I don't know why, but only when the third professor of the day wished us a happy Thanksgiving was when it clicked into place that hey, maybe Thanksgiving is as big a deal as Chinese New Year is in Singapore.

Because of how big a deal it is, practically all the stores are closed. Streets are deserted, college dorms have never been more peaceful. A lot of the kids here have left to reunite with their families. I am loving the peace in here. My roommate's not around, which means I have all the freedom to do whatever I want; even more freedom than I would in my own house. It's awesome, really. No overenthusiastic collegiate kids laughing their lungs out or guttural roars from losing video games. It's all peace and quiet. I especially love how the streets are so deserted. You know when a lone car speeds through a quiet street, and you can hear the sound of the car approaching and then leaving? Like how it gets louder and then softer? I like that sound. vroom veroom VEROOM veroom vroom. Sorry, my descriptive skills fail me at this point. My brain is melting, or something.

It's almost as if the city is at a standstill - but there is no need to fear, because we will resume normalcy shortly. It's a nice break from the hustle and bustle of things.

So, for Thanksgiving, we are supposed to give thanks. Here's a list of things I am grateful for:

1. Being in NYC
2. Having my sister here - she's done so much for me
3. Feeling not-depressed and more positive than I have for a while

Yep. But really, we don't need a publicly mandated holiday in order to be grateful for things, right? But sometimes it's better to have these formalities to jolt your memory a bit.

No comments: