I think human beans have the tendency to lapse into a psychological trap, where if we are given two options, we would pick the lesser evil - but if we were to be given just one of them, we would choose neither. Examples:
1. A blue top in S, and a black top in M, and both tops are on sale - when what you really want is a black top in S. Our minds would make all kinds of funky rationalisations just so we can acquire something we don't really want. If it were me, since a good fit > colour, I'd go for the blue top in S, though I hate blue.
2. Being stuck alone, or hanging out with someone whose company you don't particularly enjoy.
I'm sure there's some formal psychological label for this phenomenon, but anyway, I discovered it through personal experience, so I feel like I need to pass on this knowledge before anyone else makes the same mistake that I did. I felt compelled to choose when none of my options really appealed to me, and ended up regretting it, and regret is a sucky feeling, so.
P.S. Looked it up and the term is called Morton's Fork.
P.P.S. I just realised that there are a bunch of terms to describe the phenomenon. Between a rock and a hard place; damned if I do, damned if I don't; lesser of two evils, etc - guess I'm not that original - but it's still cool to find out things about life through experience vs in theory.
Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment