Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Summer Streets

Three Saturdays in summer, a 6.9 mile stretch of road is closed off to traffic so pedestrians, runners, cyclists and skaters can do their thang on the streets. This event is called Summer Streets. Both bicycles and skates are rented for free, so I went to do it. It was pretty darn cool. It does seem like a lot of the cultural/social activities organised in the city are done for the city's residents, whereas I get the feeling that cultural/social activities like these in Singapore are done not to gratify its residents but to lure tourists. Then that's just me thinking.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Guy on skates pushing stroller.

Photobucket
The free rental orange bike. It's the kind that has a fairly low seat, so I felt like my quads were overworked. Rental is free for an hour, and ten dollars for every subsequent half hour. Prices here are insane. A movie ticket on a Friday morning is fucking $12.50. I only discovered it upon payment, and it was too late. Watched Adam, a movie about two people in NYC who fall in love - only the guy has Asperger's syndrome. Aww.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Grand Central! Anyone watched I Am Legend? There was some super dramatic scene that occurred on this stretch of road.

Photobucket

And a retarded video:


Next Saturday is the last day of Summer Streets. Next week, we're going down Brooklyn Bridge instead. Wish you were here.

5 comments:

J&J said...

hey u just updated ur blog! I checked 1 hour ago n dun have this!
Y u not online on msn... hahaz it really looks very interesting!! Wish i was there too =)

rebekah said...

yeah wish i was there three. uni's started here. sucks.

Jin said...

jason: When I online you also not online!

rebekah: I want school to start. I have no friends here! And today's word verification is "labies". I find that so funny.

Jin said...

jason: When I online you also not online!

rebekah: I want school to start. I have no friends here! And today's word verification is "labies". I find that so funny.

rebekah said...

hmm school has started for me but i don't have friends either. mine's "extri". is that even a word? your cupcakes look good O.o i am hungry. really hungry.