Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Monday, December 22, 2008

My favourite actors

Only the guys, because none of the female actresses have really impressed me either with their looks or talent. I think fame and talent tend to be inversely related for female actresses. Then again, they're not exactly distinct variables so it's hard to say. Everybody knows who Angelina Jolie is, but I don't particularly enjoy her movies. It could be because she tends to act in blockbuster films, which are not exactly my cup of tea. And Audrey Hepburn is practically every girl's idol, but I don't like Breakfast at Tiffany's. I actually think that the movie doesn't do the short story by Truman Capote any justice at all. The story is so much raunchier. The character in the movie is so... flat. And the script is bad. And she doesn't have chemistry with her male lead. Ugh, terrible movie. Don't know why its such a big deal, except that she's a pretty little lass in there.

So, yes, male actors. First up are the ones who I think are cute but don't necessarily act very well.

1. Keanu Reeves
Photobucket
I first thought he was cute because I saw The Lake House and he looked so dreamy in there. He looked very cool in Constantine too. He was fine in Matrix. The Day The Earth Stood Still was disappointing; his age is showing. I wish I could see him in more animated roles though, just so I know if he can indeed act or not. FYI this is not his best picture. I like him smiling ever so slightly, but I prefer him clean-shaven. He's usually looking grim in his clean-shaven pictures.

2. Johnathan Bennett
Photobucket
Frankly speaking, I've only seen him in Mean Girls but he was so cute in there. He looks terrible in his recent pics. He's got that ruffle-inducing hair going on in Mean Girls.

3. Rodrigo Santoro
Photobucket
I've also only seen him in Love Actually but he is hot AND cute (the previous two were less hot) and I like the movie too.

That's all for actors whom I think are good-looking. I had wanted to include Takeshi Kaneshiro but he looks ugly in recent pictures, and I only really liked him in Turn Left Turn Right. I think you can spot a trend here. They are all dark, have such endearing smiles and the dreamiest eyes. *sigh* I don't think Zac Efron and Patrick Dempsey are good-looking. I think Zac Efron looks like white trash, maybe because he is blonde-haired and blue-eyed. I think Patrick Dempsey has a sparkly, twinkly, smile but he got more or less dead-fish eyes.

Now on to actors whose acting I enjoy!

1. Adam Sandler
Photobucket
I like Happy Madison movies. 50 First Dates is a favourite. I like the way Adam Sandler acts, because you can tell that he's enjoying himself. He doesn't exactly lose himself in his roles; he retains that sort of cheeky self-indulgence that you can detect. I guess it helps that he is perpetually the funny guy in most of his movies.

2. Johnny Depp
Photobucket
Unfortunately, he doesn't fit my bill of what I consider good-looking. Not that he's unattractive, of course. In fact he's very attractive in the enigmatic, troubled psychotic kind of way. But he just doesn't look... manly, I guess. Not manly in the style of Keanu, Johnathan and Rodrigo. I'm posting this picture up because I really like Edward Scissorhands and he acted so well in it. Edward doesn't speak much, so Johnny Depp had to talk with his eyes. I went on a ride and watched all the Tim Burton and Johnny Depp movies, and I liked this one the most. I also like Benny & Joon, where he plays an autistic-type person who falls in love with a schizophrenic. Totally my kind of movie. Damn, why did I delete it?

That's all for favourite actors. I'd include Tobey Maguire, but I've only seen him in Spiderman. I don't think I like his acting so much as I like Peter Parker, the character. Very subtle distinctions that I can't quite describe. Actor, acting and character.

List of movies mentioned in this blog post, sequentially:
  • Breakfast at Tiffany's
  • The Lake House
  • Constantine
  • Matrix
  • The Day The Earth Stood Still
  • Mean Girls
  • Love Actually
  • Turn Left Turn Right
  • 50 First Dates
  • Edward Scissorhands
  • Benny & Joon

No comments: