It's sad how being in a happy relationship tends to dumb people down a bit. It's sad because people in happy relationships aren't half as interesting as people who aren't in happy relationships. I'm sure people in happy relationships are immensely interesting to each other, though.
I guess the stability and reliance on someone else that you know you can count on reduces the need for excessive thinking. No need for paranoia, no need to think of what lies on life's bends in the road, because when one is in a happy relationship, there is so much certainty and assurance that it would be a waste of effort to contemplate why life is the way it is now, and how life may be like otherwise. It would be absurd, or even damaging to the happy relationship. The concept is similar to this quote, "Ask yourself if you're happy, and you won't be." The overriding inflection to such a question is that if you have to ask such a question, something must have been amiss to incite it in the first place.
I raised a question, "So why do you like him?"
After a moment of contemplation, she responded, "I don't think like has a reason."
It sounds foolish and immature, almost as if the affection was a mere infatuation, a crush. But her starkly simple response rings true. I guess her response could either be considered as extremely primitive/immature/childish, but it could also be considered as achieving a state of enlightenment that recognises that certain things are beyond our comprehension. It is almost as if she has understood that trying to fathom why she likes a particular person will never be adequate to explain her affections for him, and she decides to transcend the conundrum by declaring that "like does not have a reason".
Then again, she could be afraid to consider the possibility that perhaps her affection for him is hollow and empty. Or she could just be too lazy to think.
*******
If you like psychological thrillers, be sure to watch Memento! It's about this guy who suffers from anterograde amnesia who is out to avenge his raped and murdered wife. I love the stylistic execution. It's pretty mind-screwy, so you need to keep your wits about you.
If you like mystery thrillers, be sure to watch The Conversation! It's about a surveillance expert who eventually caves into his own paranoia. I love the jazzy and solo piano soundtrack. It's a very intense film, yet not very action-packed, so you need to be awake to watch it. There isn't much dialogue nor action. I tried watching it as a bedtime film sort of thing, but cannot tahan lah. Oh, and Francis Ford Coppola wrote and directed this film, and it's his personal favourite!
I think Michel Gondry is genius. Extremely ingenious French director who has produced several music videos and advertisements. He also directed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Loves it.
Watched Becket, not because it's my kind of film, because period dramas usually don't cut it for me, but because I hoped it'd be a shortcut way of trying to understand Murder in the Cathedral, and all its annoying religious nuances. It's like an entirely new universe, what with liturgies and rites and deacons and bishops and archbishops and vespers and excommunication and all that ritualistic jazz.
Excommunicated people can't hold church office, can't teach, can't lead prayers, and often can't even be in the church building. Sounds fine, to me at least. Well, if the regular person was excommunicated, it wouldn't really affect his life much, would it? In fact, it may even save him the trouble of going to church. So he can truthfully tell God on Judgement Day that it's not that he didn't want to go to church, but he wasn't allowed to.
Random article I found: How To Spot A True Christian. Heh.
Man, it's early ain't it? I'm feeling pretty smug about myself because I just managed to locate something that was meant to be well concealed. Nyeh heh heh.
My legs are aching like some shit. I ran 11km on Sunday, though it was at a can-fail-2.4km speed, ran 5.5km on Monday and then cycled for a bit after the run. You know I haven't ran for three weeks before last week? Damn shitty. I tried to make up for it by running Monday - Thursday (very short-d, 3.5km nia) and Sunday, but Friday I went to some potluck party thing, and Sunday had super extreme buffet dinner. Piangz.
I am very motivated to burn calories once I start exercising. But it's harder to restrain myself from eating. It's a lot easier to push myself when I'm exercising, though. But there's only so much exercise I can do right?! And my muscles are dying already! Oh noes.
Dammit dammit dammit! I want to go for liposuction.
Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Hello!
I read the article. Why would any atheist speak truth about true christianity?!
It takes wisdom of more than a man to understand the bible. at least that's what i believe in.
Happy relationships need not necessarily have stability.
grace: This implies that the wisdom required to understand the Bible transcends earthly wisdom; i.e. nobody on earth will ever understand it! Which has the implication that a theist could be no better at understanding the Bible than an atheist...
shen ting: If I wanted to do an entire thesis on happy relationships, I would.
Post a Comment