Watched Money Not Enough 2. Well, I don't really like it. It's too Singaporean. This sounds really uppity of me, like anything that appeals to the masses is beneath me, but it's true; a movie like Money Not Enough is a one-hit wonder that nobody will remember in a very short time. It doesn't help that the last local movie I watched had so much more depth to it than this one.
It sure was entertaining, with its distinctly local jokes, but it doesn't have a lot of take-home value. I guess I just can't stand how Jack Neo deliberately make sures the movie resonates with his target audience - the patriarch, the antagonistic daughter-in-law, the neglected aged mother. It's just so... OBVIOUS. There's nothing to interpret, nothing to dissect, nothing to read into. It might be appalling and controversial to the average Singaporean who complains in hushed whispers, but it doesn't exactly shock me. He's not presenting reality in a fresh and interesting way. He's just mimicking it. And it bores me.
That's that.
I think I'm going to take a bit of time to write some letters to my teachers for Teacher's Day. Note that I haven't done anything for my teachers since eternity. I think a sincere, personalised, handwritten letter would beat a kitschy gift any day, don't you think? In addition... I really need that mind-blowing testimonial. >=p
Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
When I saw the trailer for the movie, I was wondering if I was watching the trailer for Money not Enough 1. Some parts looked really similar, e.g. Jack Neo going to the ATM and finding that he has no money.
I've heard some comments that Henry Thia saved the movie.
shen ting: I don't think Henry Thia's acting outshone the rest; they're all pretty good actors. HDB aunties and uncles are always endearing to watch. And nah, the movie couldn't be saved by one man's act. Not like it really needed saving in the first place. It's not so much disastrous than just lacklustre.
Post a Comment