Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

You have to weed through the nonsense to get to the gems.

This is my dog's sterilisation certificate.


When I saw this, I immediately thought Nineteen Eighty-Four. Imagine a world where your parents can opt to have you sterilised if they so wish. Imagine a world where parents can embed microchips into their children's necks, so they are always aware of their whereabouts. Imagine a world where people are classified into breeds, species and colour. I think we are not far off. A century or two, give or take?

I think that many mothers these days have children not really because they like having kids, but really because they find the concept of a baby "cute", the same way they find puppies cute, or Tigger cute. Once the child enters the terrible twos, the novelty of having a baby would probably have worn off. It's quite sad, isn't it? Yet it's such a terrifyingly real possibility that the materialistic generation of today are having children merely because they are as adorable as soft toys and young animals are. I'm not sure why a man would want to marry a pink-loving bimbo; I can quite imagine her fighting over a soft toy with her daughter.

A free publication was given out outside school today. It's called Naked i. Initially, I thought it was one of those free magazines for youths, like Navigator or Juice. But after reading a couple of articles, a line from the Bible was suspiciously quoted. And after flipping the rest of the pages in a frenzy, my razor-sharp eyes spotted more "God"s and "prayers" dotting the passages, and I got entirely put off from reading it. These subliminal messages are trying to catch us unawares! Why does it have to be so sneaky? Couldn't they be more upfront about being religious? I find it extremely off-putting. I told someone about this, and she said: "If they were open about being religious, no one would want to read it anymore."

Which is exactly my point. Maybe people don't want to read your propoganda, and the only reason why they do is because you've hoodwinked them. Deceitful and conniving. Meh.

Let me quote something which is presumably pro-[their religion].

"Sex is not necessary - it's just a function of reproduction. People can survive without it." - Ken, NUS

This is wrong on so many counts. Firstly, I don't understand why he demeans reproduction. Reproduction is utterly crucial to survival. People would NOT survive if people didn't have sex, which is like, duh. If your parents didn't have sex, you wouldn't be born in this world to blabber self-aggrandising pseudo-truths. Secondly; sex is so much more than just being a function of reproduction. It's a source of pleasure, it builds physical intimacy (and in no way do I see it as being less important than emotional intimacy; emotions are crap at being rational anyway), and it's probably a cheaper alternative to going out all the time. And if he were to insist that sex is just a function of reproduction, then it must be necessarily so that whenever married couples have sex, it must be for the desire to reproduce. In that case, people would have way too many kids than they can handle.

Well, I cannot deny that the magazine also quoted people who are pro-sex, but the very fact that they chose to talk about the issue implies that they think it's a big enough deal to warrant an article. Sex is just sex, man. Do whatever you want!

Today was probably one of the happier days of my life.

- Clocked a timing of 11:13 for 2.4km! I don't think it's a new personal record, but at least it was faster than my previous run. It's a bit :s when I read that Delle isn't happy about her 10:56 timing, but I guess we belong to completely different castes so, er, cannot compare.

- Jason spontaneously called me while I was in class and asked if I wanted to meet up! While we were chilling at Secret Recipe, he suddenly exclaimed that he feels really guilty about not getting me anything for my birthday, and kept suggesting that I go shop around for shoes or bags or clothes. He's enlisting come Friday and wants to rid himself of residual obligations. Unfortunately, I wasn't in a shopping mood, so I randomly suggested, "Why don't you get me a birthday cake? I want a cheesecake!" And he was quite enthusiastic about it! But I thought, nah, it's too weird to get a birthday cake five months after your birthday has passed. Besides, I've been eating too much cake lah. I've been super obsessed over cheesecakes lately. I baked one recently, and I had two slices of cheesecake and Secret Recipe today. Classic Cheesecake, which has mascarpone and two different kinds of cheese, and Marble Cheesecake, which is their bestseller. I think I've grown out of chocolate cakes...

Ok end digression.

Him: Usually, it's very easy to buy presents for girls. You can either buy necklaces or soft toys. But you didn't wear the necklace I bought you, and I know you don't like soft toys. And I don't want to buy you clothes in case you don't like them. You very fussy lor.

Me: That's true... Maybe you shouldn't buy me what I like, but what you want me to have?

Him: Like what?

Me: I don't know... (I was thinking along the lines of being thoughtful and sincere; even though it's such a cliche, it's the thought that counts)

Him: *exasperated* So what do you want?

Me: Er, I don't want to tell you what I want; I want to be surprised!

Him: I also like surprises. But the thing is that I am easily satisfied with surprises, whereas you are quite hard to please. Very hard to buy presents for.

Me: Okay... I know! I want a hand-winding musical box!

And after some browsing, it materialised right before our very eyes! Quite coincidental, if you ask me. I'm quite a lucky girl, aren't I? My dream was fulfilled in less than a week, and I actually got two! He wanted to buy me three... I was like, nonono, two is enough.


Over The Rainbow and The Sound of Music! I had wanted to get Favourite Things too, but that would've been too Sound of Music-ky. I grew up on a diet of Sound of Music lah; in primary school we used to watch that all the time after exams.

Then he paid for my M&S cookies too.

I've never tried either of these flavours before, but how bad can it get?


These are nice!

Come to think of it, he could've just been making use of me, because he needed my finger to get a couple ring for his one-year anniversary (cue *awe*), and well, I served as a filler between him meeting his girlfriend for lunch and then picking her up from work. It really seems as if he didn't genuinely want to meet me, and his desire (or excuse?) to catch up before he enlists just happened to coincide with his free time and a need for a female finger. But there really isn't a point thinking in such a negative way. After all, he did ask ME out, out of all the other people he could've asked. I should be glad that he thought of me at all, shouldn't I? It does seem like I'm scraping the barrel here, so I shall reconcile the nagging feeing that I was made use of with the lavish gifts that he got me. The world works in such horrible ways, doesn't it. Everything seems so transactional. Oh well. Shush, stop thinking.

- I actually managed to stretch my second slice of cheesecake for over an hour! This is a rather amazing feat for my standards because I usually gobble things up within five minutes. I sat at Secret Recipe reading and taking tiniest nibbles at my cake, until the rest of the soccer girls were done with their movie. Then we went to Swensens to celebrate Shuming's farewell! To alleviate my conscience, I ate smoked salmon salad for dinner, but it was futile because we ate ice cream and cake after that anyway. -.- We all talked about love lives, and it was so cute lah. Chu lian de gan jue hao ci ji wor. I quite miss that feeling. Sigh!

- The junior girls are so united and bubbly and enthu! I am not half as enthu as they are. They are the sweetest bunch of girls. Aww.

- I was reminded of the question, "If a tree falls in the forest, is there still a sound?" And then I sniggered to myself and thought, "If I lock myself up in a room, am I still fat?" Hahaha.

- Wanlin, Vivien, Leung Yan and I are the only INTJs in class. It's an exclusive little club, y'all. When we four have a conversation, apparently we speak without emotional conviction. INTJ thing?

- I have a sudden urge to write a letter to my 30-year-old self. Like, I'll write a letter now, keep it in a time capsule that seems to be all the rage with the more elite schools, and only open it when I'm 30. Hmmm. Will contemplate it.

- When I am in a good mood I am very chatty!

3 comments:

emtonmi said...

Woah. I found the "Sex is not necessary" quote more like Ninteen Eighty-Four rather than sterilising kids and embedding microchips..

Jin said...

jonathan: Ah, if all the kids were sterilised, sex would not only be unnecessary, it'd be impossible! Mmm, test-tube babies in a totalitarian state.

Huis Clos said...

People can survive without sex but Mankind can't.