Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Inefficiency + fatness

Out of all the many things I abhor, I probably abhor inefficiency the most. Inefficiency usually stems from incompetence, which is characterised by:

1. Lack of willpower
2. Lack of capability

I also abhor incompetence, especially when incompetence is coupled with whining about said incompetence. And today must have been the most inefficient and unproductive day of my life.

It was the 41st Student Council Elections today, so there weren't any lessons. You know how I feel about the student council; I feel that it propogates the illusion of a democracy, and well, councillor is just a euphemistic expression for sai kang warrior. But nevermind that; the councillors are useful people to have around, so they have some pragmatic function. Besides, the council-wannabes' politically-correct speeches with corny cliches were food for sarcasm. When we weren't lamenting, we were amusing ourselves by critically analysing the persuasive arguments put forth by the candidates.

So, at least the speeches were entertaining. What I disliked was my teacher's way of handling the matter. She is supremely anal, checking our attendance by the hour to ensure that we don't sneak out of school. Her attendance sheet was actually labelled with the times she was going to mark our attendance. Alright, fine. One would assume that she wants us to be around, so we can hear what the future leaders of our student body have to say, right? It must be of prime importance to select good leaders, so we can have a better future, right?

At least, that's what I assumed her motives were for being so particular about our presence. However, I was sorely proven wrong. We were at the canteen extension, with the council candidates blasting our ears. Fortunately, there were tables, so we could attempt to induce productivity by doing some work. The teacher came along, and said:

"Actually this place is better than the hall right. At least you all can do your own work."

I was hopping mad when she said that. Apparently I got so heated up that I was actually flushing.

She clearly doesn't think that it's necessary for us to listen to the candidates, because she was actually encouraging us to do work. In fact, she even revised her subject with my classmates. So why is she being so anal about our attendance? If it isn't about getting us to be involved with the school's initiatives, then what is it about? She's just blindly following the rules. Rigid, inflexible, and doesn't think. At all.

Personally, I'd much rather stay home and do my work, rather than come to school and:

1. Do work whilst in a noisy environment, which means I can neither do my work properly nor listen to the speeches. Inefficiency at its worst.
2. Disrespect the candidates. Wouldn't it be much kinder on them to simply not turn up, rather than hang around in front of them with our faces buried in books?

I do not understand her rationale for being such a stickler abput our attendance, if she has one at all. It would've been better if she took our attendance, and meanwhile go around telling people to keep away their reading material and pay attention. I'd have at least respect her dedication for the school. Instead, she went around coaching people for their Math and was SMSing half the time herself. Clearly, the school's initiatives is of little consequence to her too, and since she doesn't see the point in listening (she certainly didn't behave as if she thought it mattered), then what is the point of coming at all? If you don't want to pay attention, then might as well don't come at all! It's all in the name of efficiency!

Worse still, she made us do some stupid crossword about leadership qualities that was done the year before. I didn't know it was a rehash; I wasn't in school last year. I only came to school this year because she was being a bloody pain. Despite her knowing that it was a rehash, she still went through the answers, as if we were some mentally-dysfunctional retards. Wouldn't it have been better if she just let us off earlier? I made some snide comments about it to her in class, and she patronised me in the most patronisingly patronising manner possible.

"Okay, class, it's 1245 now, I can let you go since we already finished the activity."

"Eh, you sure we can go anot? You said 1250, you know. I think better stay for five minutes more lah, five minutes very important. Cannot leave earlier than the stated time."

"Ya, if you leave five minutes earlier your attendance might be marked zero hor."

"Ya lor, I don't want that to happen, so I will stay until it's exactly 1250 then I will leave."

I feel very inclined to use some cuss words.

She attempted to make peace by saying:

"Aiyah, you're still a student, so no choice lor, have to follow the rules."

UGH. TOTALLY CHARACTERISTIC OF MINDLESSNESS, HERD MENTALITY, STUPIDITY AND LACK OF THOUGHT.

I thought, maybe she had some prior bad experience with regards to letting off her students early. Maybe she once let her class off earlier, and one of them got into a serious accident or something. From then on, she never forgave herself for letting off her students early and has decided to keep them back until the bell rings, even though there is nothing left to do. Maybe she just has a guilty conscience she wants to allay.

Whatever the case, it was a fucking annoying day. CIP after that was extremely inefficient and unproductive as well, but that's no one's fault, because the kids we were supposed to play with had CCA. Anyway, not like I expected otherwise; group projects are always inefficient and unproductive. My classmates went gaga over the baby that was brought in. Maternal instincts all raring to go already. I was like, hmmm, it just crawled on the floor, and I'm not sure I want to carry a baby that has crawled on the floor. It's like dragging a carpet on the dirty ground then asking me to hug it. Probably covered in microbes and stuff. Plus, it was looking a bit mucky, with dried snot on her nose and stuff. Not very appealing.

But babies always have soft skin, don't they? I realise that I referred to the baby as "it".

At least I did something productive today; I finished the pair of pants I started making yesterday. I actually stayed up till 2 in the morning because once I got started, I couldn't stop. I tend to get quite obsessed when I'm sewing something. It's my first ever pair of pants, and they're a bit screwed up. The crotch is too short, so it gives me a wedgie. It highlights every single curve on my butt, and not in a good way.

Am somewhat annoyed because of that, because I altered the pattern to be shorter, because it's meant for a 168cm tall woman, and I am not 168cm tall. I should have decreased more length in the leg area than the crotch area. Otherwise I think they are actually pretty cool pants. Wide-legged and all. With hip pockets too! Pictures some other time, when I have a flatter tummy. And possibly smaller butt. The only way I can get a flatter tummy is to starve myself for a day. And by starving myself, I mean restricting myself to only three meals, because I usually eat a dozen a day and now that I'm hardly running at all in my own time, I'm getting FAT with a capital Ph.

Diet for today:

Breakfast
Mushroom ham and bread sandwich
Earl Grey tea (which incidentally, smelt really nice, but floral-smelling teas always remind me of potpurri)

Break
Some Twisties Shi Ying brought
Triangular egg mayo sandwich and triangular spicy tuna sandwich

Lunch
Yong tau foo: hard-boiled egg, seaweed chicken, seafood-flavoured processed food thingy which is fried, mushroom, tau kwa and kang kong
Longans with red tea jelly on blended ice with evaporated milk

Snack
Mushroom ham and wholemeal bread sandwich
A pinch's worth of broken cheese flavoured Ruffles

Dinner
Rice and salmon (I didn't eat veg because it wasn't ready yet and I was starving like crazy)

Ideally, I should be eating only breakfast, lunch and dinner, without the sweet beverages. Agh empty calories! I shall strive to eat only when necessary. Yes, yes.

No comments: