Photos!
My first glimpse of Mauritius. Pretty, huh.


A beach there. Sorry I compressed the pictures. There's really nothing to see except for sun, sand and sea.
My feet.
My name. It was quite hard to do this, the waves kept eroding my personality.
Footprints. It's so delible, that I felt quite subdued by nature's immense power. Ah.
Christie suggested I do this. I had to take care not to let my shoes plummet beneath the murky sea. No it wasn't really murky, I was just trying to be poetic. In fact, the water beheld such a clarity you could see schools of fishes swimming around.
Psuedo emo shot + VPL!!!
Ice lollies at the beach. This one is vanilla flavoured, with coconut shavings at the bottom. It's very chill, to eat kebabs and ice cream while people watching at the beach.

Um, view from Christie's aunt's house. Quite spectacular. The night sky is simply gorgeous too. You can see thousands of stars!
I saw this ridiculous cap and had to try it on. Who the hell wants to look like an orange?
Curlies, imitation Twisties. Made in Mauritius.

Some fierce shoes. They look good.

On my way to Seychelles, I saw this rainbow. I could see the whole circle, but I couldn't take a picture of it in its entirety. Quite majestic.
The airport in Seychelles is small and rundown. This shot was taken when the plane was about to land. For a moment I thought we were gonna plunge into the sea.
Supposedly famous clock tower in Seychelles, built during the British times. In Seychelles, there is only one traffic light. Therefore, the traffic problem is dealt with with loads of roundabouts. The streets don't have streetlamps too, so it's actually quite hazardous to drive around the hilly terrain at night, since there are sharp turns. Headlights are a must.
Nice hor. The beaches look every bit as picturesque as the photos depict. And since Seychelles is quite hilly, some of the cliffs overlook the sea, and it's quite awe-inspiring. The thing about Seychelles is that its backward-ness seems to work for the island country. Even though it isn't very well developed, public utilities are at a bare minimum, public transport is unreliable, imported goods are expensive, the town area can be completed on foot in twenty minutes, the people are still happy. They don't appear burdened by the lack of luxury in their lives. Peace-loving, happy people. Rather enviable.
On the speedboat to Fregate, a private luxury resort island. The journey was an hour and a half, yet it felt like eternity. My mum and I got rather seasick, and puked quite a bit. Every moment felt like the Viking at Escape Theme Park, only much worse. I hate the zero-g feeling, especially if repeated again and again. Fregate is so damn exclusive that each night per person costs 2800 Euros. For that ransom, one is able to get a villa on a clifftop overlooking the sea, equipped with a jacuzzi, and a pool. The villa is constructed mainly out of glass, so you can see the sea from whereever you are in the villa. And the villas are constructed in such a way that none can look into the other, so you get complete privacy. Wow, it must be super to have sex in a villa overlooking the sea. Can I marry a rich oil tycoon or something so we can have our honeymoon there?
This is some posh-ish restaurant that we went to in Seychelles. I figured that it was posh because the menus didn't list the price. The thing about these posh places is that if you need to know what the price is, you're probably can't afford it. Sly way of discriminating the rich from the poor, huh? Anyway, I liked the octopus salad that I had there. I also had marinated fish salad somewhere else, and it was quite tasty too. Kinda like yusheng.
I saw these footprints at a beach in Seychelles. The mucky ones on the right are mine, please ignore them. As you can see, there is one track leading to the sea, and another leading back. I was just wondering, what if there were only a single set of footprints leading seawards? HMMM...
A sign at the Seychelles airport. I found it amusing. I have a queer sense of humour.
Bought some chocolates from the supermarket.
Liver mousse. I can't exactly read French, though I know a few words by now, but you can figure out that in the left one, it's a mixture of chicken, duck and pig's liver. See picture know already what. Then there's the "trois" , which I take to mean three.
Oh oh oh! This is my most exciting score of the week. We were dining at Christie's dad's friend's house, so well, he's got a daughter that's a year older than me. She's quite genius actually, top IB student in her school. There was a framed certificate in the living room which no one could miss. So anyway, I found out she took Psychology as an 'A' Level subject. WICKED RIGHT! So I asked if I could have her textbooks, and she said I could!
DAMN COOL! I've never actually properly read a text on psychology before. Most of what I know is through extensive reading of self-help books and personal observation. So it's really cool to see my thoughts actualised in print and in theory. It kinda makes me feel that I could be coming up with my own theories too.
Terrible grammar and handwriting on the plane.
This is what I mean to say. If an egocentric child is unable to put himself into other people's shoes and appreciate that other people have their own viewpoints, doesn't it suggest that in order to be NOT egocentric, you have to treat other people as if they are egocentric? You have to treat other people as if they only possess their own viewpoints and you have to accommodate them. So if you are an egocentric person, you treat other people as if they weren't. Or you expect them not to be.
That's all. I'm so damn tired.


5 comments:
Wow~ Awesome fotos HJ. Marvellous trip eh? I'm envious man...No group shots ka?
Hahahaha....that emo shot with that caption:"..with VPL!" Now that's a classic!!
ROTFL XD
Hmm. Having your own viewpoint doesn't necessarily suggest that you do not consider other peoples' viewpoint, so not being egocentric doesn't have to assume other people as egocentric themselves..
stan: Actually, the trip was quite boring. I do have some group shots, but I look like a baby walrus, so none of those for public consumption.
jonathan: I agree that having my own viewpoint doesn't necessarily mean I don't consider others. (But all viewpoints eventually become your own, since you view it from YOUR perspective)
But I don't really see how the viewpoint part supports your statement about non-egocentric people.
Well, egocentric means to see the world from your own view point and not considering others', right?
So in order to not be ego-centric, I must consider the views of others, but I don't have to regard whether the people whose view I'm trying to appreciate actually consider the views of others or not. In other words, I could consider the views of ego-centric AND/OR non-ego-centric people to be considered non-ego-centric myself because I already satisfy the 'considering other peoples' view' condition.
(Woah, so long.)
emtonmi: Hmmm, I understand now. I failed to take into account the definition of being egocentric carefully... Well, length is no matter as long as it is lucid!
Post a Comment