Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Why do you dress up?

I'm responding to a post from Evelyn. What is my objective for dressing up? Do I dress up for myself, for others or for my boyfriend/date?

The most important objective of dressing up to me, is for self-satisfaction. It's very pleasing to face the mirror and like what I see, cos most of the time I don't. Dressing up means prettifying myself, and it means making me feel good about myself. On Friday when Erica came to my house and went out after that, I didn't feel like dressing up cos I was feeling shitty. As a result, I spent the day out feeling pretty much like crap. Sometimes, dressing up when I'm in a bad mood cheers me up.

To a lesser degree, dressing up helps me assert my individuality. When I don't bother dressing up I'll just blend into the crowd. I guess you can say to a certain extent I dress up for others, because I dress to impress. What's the point of wearing something that's not good enough to look at? I think clothes should enhance your appearance and perhaps give a little insight into what kind of person you are. (For e.g. Joy said that she'll makes it a point to wear a deliberately mismatched item whereas I am a stickler for looking matchy-matchy. What do you make of it?) However, contrary to what I said, I like wearing matching underwear although no one sees it, simply because it has an unexplainable feel-good factor. Better than wearing tatty granny panties that imprint a VPL on to your ass, I suppose.

As for dressing up for boyfriend/date, I've never bought new clothes for a first date, but I tend to put extra thought into dressing up. I have two pieces of advice I collected from my past.

1. Wear a skirt
2. Wear a necklace

I wasn't given an explanation. However, I deduced that skirts look more feminine, and necklaces draws attention to a slender neck and a pretty face.

As for boyfriends, they're supposed to look past exterior beauty, right?

*******

Check out these quiz results.

My Personality


Neuroticism
84
Extraversion
2
Openness To Experience
40
Agreeableness
1
Conscientiousness
46


Agreeableness
You generally see others as selfish, devious, and sometimes potentially dangerous. You believe that a certain amount of deception in social relationships is necessary. You are guarded in new relationships and less willing to openly reveal the whole truth about yourself. You are not adverse to confrontation and will sometimes even intimidate others to get your own way. You feel superior to those around you and sometimes tend to be seen as arrogant by other people. You are not affected strongly by human suffering, priding yourself on making objective judgments based on reason. You are more concerned with truth and impartial justice than with mercy.

Bullseye. I wonder what makes me so wary of others. Hmmm. Maybe it takes one to know one.

Desperate Addict's quite a good read. Reminds me of myself. But I try not to read people who are my age too often because reading their blogs make me feel like I have less of a life. And less intelligent. And less everything else.

Teenagers can't afford to be cynical, because if they do adopt that worldview, people will just dismiss their cynicism as depressive teenage tantrums. "Oh, she's just being emo. Don't worry about her, she'll grow out of it." And the one thing teenagers hate the most is not to be taken seriously. I wonder when I'll be old enough to be deemed qualified for cynicism. Maybe never.

I stink real bad. YES I FINALLY FOUND OUT HOW TO SPELL THAT ELUSIVE WORD. FARTLEK.

3 comments:

G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jphuaa said...

Nice underwear makes a good start to my day :D

Jin said...

No point deleting your comments, because I still get to read them!

joy: Yay for nice undies.