
She has mismatched eyes. One is brown, and the other is blue. I was just flipping through magazines one day, when I saw the ad she did for Revlon when I noticed something weird. I think it's a rather cool abnormality. It makes her so much more special! If both her eyes were blue, she'd just look like your standard-issue blonde and blue-eyed bimbo. If both her eyes were brown, she probably wouldn't catch your attention. Hence, her funny eyes are good for her! But I imagine she must have endured lots of taunts when she was a child.
*******
Erica and I were reliving the days of yore. 4C was a slacker class. We had our star ponners, Weng Soon and Inex, who both had three-day work weeks (or even two). For National Day 2006 celebration, 18 of us did not turn up, which was more than half the class. Our line during assembly was noticably shorter, and attracted the attention of all and sundry.
Thinking back, it's amusing how we all got away with a few sarcastic jibes from teachers and a passing remark about lack of patriotism. Yeah yeah, whatever. When my classmates say they'll skip school, they SKIP school. We're a class of our word. We don't skip school just because everyone else does. We skip school because we feel like it. We skip school because we want to, not because our friends want to. We may skip school together, but that doesn't indicate anything about peer pressure or influence, because we all have pretty independent minds. We are not humji.
Wasn't it fun? No one really cared about the consequences. Mainly because there weren't any to speak of. We all got away scot-free! My class is a horrible class, please do not follow in our footsteps. I was just trying to illustrate how individualistic and laissez-faire we were. We don't do herd mentality!
4C may not have been the most united of classes, but we were definitely special in our own right. Despite the cliquism, I'd dare say we were pretty cool.
When we rebelled against April Ng and her pathetic attempts at teaching us English.
When we bent over in laughter over Anne Ang's Absurd Antics. (Someone should write a Memoirs of Anne Ang's Absurd Antics.)
When we held our pen poised at the ready over our exercise books (only the A4-sized ones!) whenever Miss Lim marched in, ready to tell us all about Relative Velocity.
When we listened to June Loh's patronising and mind-numbing talks about her great sacrifices as a Biology teacher.
When we occasionally found Grace Ong in a jokey mood and had her tell us lame Chemistry jokes.
Whenever a teacher enters a class, and someone like Xi Jing attempts to test the waters and makes a funny remark that only guys are capable of. (We were highly unsuccessful with Miss Lim, I think. And no one tried to mess with Grace Ong. I can never forget the way she sauntered in and immediately set up her laptop.)
When we provoked Tan Bee Kee and she'd answer our stupid questions flustered because it means we can slack during Social Studies.
When the Literature students slept while Miss Yee droned on and on about her dad and how she thinks she saw him return from the dead or something. And her cats.
When we talked cock during Mrs Vora's frequent absences for our Twelfth Night lessons.
When Yeo Meng Han threw hissy fits cos we were such a disappointing class. 4C ah, 4C.
And for Art: How we headed straight for the air-conditioned room meant for teachers and made it our second home while pia-ing our coursework. Then Brandon would play that "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" song on his handphone while he paints his sunset picture, for inspiration. Erica and I would explore the nooks and crannys of the Art room and find stuff to play with. I found gold leaf and I messed around with it. (I think it's really expensive.) Then Erica chanced upon this glitter tattoo kit and imprinted a magenta and purple glitter butterfly on my ankle.
Good times.


1 comment:
HAHAHA. you make me miss 4C so much! now everyone just say they feel like ponning but no1 does hor
Post a Comment