Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Attraction factor, couples, friendship, and poetry.

I haven't blogged for AGES, haven't I? Utterly uncharacteristic of me, I should think. Due to highly exciting developments in my enviable life, I've been unable make time out of my packed schedule to blog.

Right. Whatever. Enviable my foot.

I'm as red as a lobster. I burn pretty easily. Soccer match at NUS. Had to wake up at an ungodly hour of 0615 on a Sunday morning, omfg. After the last match, we sat around eating Subway and listened to an extinguished romance unfold. Got me wondering about how conservative I am. I wonder where I'm more liberal or conservative compared to the general populace. I thought I was more conservative, then somehow it seems like there are tons more of conservative people. Oh well, guess I'll never be able to tell.

Anyway, people like to ask me what kind of girls guys like. As if I have any idea. Do I appear to be the sort that's highly attractive to guys? If I knew exactly what made guys tick, then all the guys would be flocking to me right? Obviously that's not the case so I'm no expert. But well, I always attempt to answer to the best of my ability. Hurhur. In general, I'd say guys like demure girls. However, it all boils down to what kind of guy you want to attract. If you want to attract your stereotypical laddish jock who has an overwhelming urge to protect his fragile little maiden and hence boost his ego, then you have to be a fragile, demure person. I think guys like sunshine girls as well. Sunshine girls are friendly, cheerful and playful girls. These girls can be spotted by how they like to manhandle guys. Not really manhandle, but just abuse them physically by slapping them and thumping them hard. Maybe it arouses the dudes from the added physical contact. *shrugs*

Instinctual urges may be beneath the smart, more mature dude, though. He may prefer smarter chicks who have a mind of their own.

Who knows what kind of girls they like. Hmmm. Chio lor. All guys like chio girls.

********

I'm an avid reader. I go to the library quite frequently to get my fix of chick-lit and self-help. Quite often, I find loan receipts tucked in between the leaves of the books I borrowed. Sometimes, I look at the name of the individual and the other books he/she has borrowed (though I'd be hard pressed to find males who read chick-lit) and contemplate what kind of person he/she may be.

It's rather interesting to note how people leave traces of their past behind via miniscule actions like these for voyeurs like me to think about. I've seen bookmarks left behind in books before, and the prettiest once I've seen is a fabric bookmark from Turkey. What a waste.

I wonder why people don't bother checking if they've left anything behind. Before I slip in my book into the Land of No Return (i.e. the book drop) I always do a routine check of flipping through the pages first. I'm not terribly partial to the idea of a complete stranger chancing upon my loan receipt. Perhaps I'm afraid of strangers making wild assumptions about me, because I borrow the strangest combination of books. Imagine stumbling upon a list like that:



You'd be thinking, "This person is captivated by psychology, indulges in romantic novels, is adopting philosophy as a new subject of interest, and pretty keen on knitting! Hur, definitely female. Perhaps a retired old nanny with nothing better to do, intending on honing her knitting techniques."

Sometimes, I wonder leaving behind memorabilia is a deliberate attempt to make an imprint of themselves in other people's lives, just so they know someone out there's wondering about them.

Out of all the things I've seen in between pages (I've seen stubble before. Isn't that utterly gross?), this one's by far the most interesting.



A photo of a grinning couple who must have fallen deeply into the chasm of love. They certainly do look lovestruck. Sigh, what a painful reminder of my lonely existence. This was found in Philosophy for Dummies. If you're wondering why I borrowed such a book, it's because:

1. I want to apply ancient wisdom in an everyday context, quoting the cover of the book.
2. I have this horrid fear of failing KI because all my classmates look like they frequently ponder over the meaning of life.

Do you happen to know this lovey-dovey couple? If you do, tell them to be more careful about their personal possessions. Hmph. I bet leaving it behind was deliberate. I shall claim the photos as my own and draw moustaches on both of them, just because I'm feeling bitter.

Hey, I just thought of a story. Maybe the chick got dumped by the dude, and felt that life was devoid of meaning without him. She borrowed the philosophy book in an attempt to construct some meaning out of her life. After finishing the book, she was invigorated, and realised that the break-up was no important epoch in her life. To mark this new progression, she decided to leave their photos behind in this book, implying that she has overcame the bitter pangs of her failed relationship because it was the very book that has lifted her out of the darkness.

This story is admittedly lame. But it was fun making up. Actually, on further inspection, they look like siblings. Same eyes. Same nose. Same cheeks. -.-

********

Friendly people may come off as warm and outgoing, but they are the people you have to be the most wary of. You never know if they're talking to you because they like you for you, or because it's just in their nature to be friendly and sociable. You'd never be able to tell how important you are to them, because they seem to like everyone just about the same. Furthermore, friendly people may be conniving, crafty foxes in disguise. Under the facade of cheer and fun, these "friendly" people may be just manipulating you and rounding you up into their secret society so they can appear to be popular hotshots.

Mean people may be offensive and insulting, but at least you have no need to be wary of their intentions because they are open about disliking you. In this respect, I prefer mean people just because you know what to expect, unlike nice people whose motives you can never be sure of.

That being said, you can always lean back on nice and boring people, because these two qualities work seamlessly hand-in-hand together to your advantage. If they are nice, they'll listen to your whinging. Since they are boring, they probably wouldn't tattle on you, seeing how you've spilled all your deep dark dirty secrets while whinging. Besides, no one would think they look like the tattling sort, so people wouldn't seek out these nice and boring people for juicy secrets.

But nice and boring people may still be wolves in disguise, so you never know.

"You never know" is used by romantic idealists who've been spurned one too many times in life, and are slipping on the mask of cynicsm just to see if it fits.

********

Hello. Today I will try to write a poem.

h
e
L
L
Oooo.

That is the end of my poem. You know how poems are really funky now, and even a conglomeration of random words and alphabets can be called a poem. My poem's about greeting someone. It's pretty obvious, 'hello' and all. I used lowercase letters for 'h' and 'e'. The small, subdued letters shows the hesitance in the beginning of a greeting.

Then I used two upper case 'l's. This shows the dawning realisation of meeting someone familiar, hence the enhanced vigour in greeting. The long, drawn-out 'ooo' represents warmth and intimacy, because I say so. It seems like the happiness of meeting a friend is spreading in your body like how a hug can warm the cockles of your heart.

There. Isn't poetry fun?

I'm sorry I'm not pensive and brooding and mysterious. That's why I can't write good poetry. :(

A banana is equivalent to half a bowl of rice of calories! Eat bananas in moderation!

No comments: