Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

First day at school.

Yesterday's post:

School starts tomorrow, my friends. Are you mentally, emotionally, and physically prepared? Vivid visions of me meandering about like a lost lamb is permeating my very being. I am quite certain that only three Dunmanians are heading to National JC. I'll stick out like a sore thumb, surely. I do not want to be clueless! Oh dear, I am getting myself quite riled up and the tension
is getting to me.

I remember my first day at primary school. My mother took me to school, but she only hung around for a short while before leaving me in the ever-so-frightening crowd of similarly clueless-looking school girls. Some lucky girls still had their mums with them, but that didn't stop them from wailing their lungs out. It was all so new and flabbergasting to the six year old me, so I let slip a tiny tear. But no more than that, as I was whisked away by the imposing crowd before I could comprehend what was happening.

Those were the days of five-stones, skipping ropes and hopscotch. And clapping hand games, of course. Catholic convent school, you see. I liked hanging out at the four-seater swings chatting.

As for the first day at secondary school, I was feeling more fearless than I should. After all, I was the only one in my primary school who went on to Dunman High. I tried talking to some girl who stood in front of me during assembly, but the conversation was such a dull one I stopped before it could get any worse. There was also some conflict with who I sat beside in class, which was quickly settled, but didn't do my already-frayed nerves any good.

And now, history repeats itself! Gah. Life is so miserable.

Today's post:

As you can see, I was pretty wound up yesterday. I wasn't any better this morning, and I am so thankful that I had Erica with me.

My powers of speech failed me initially, but I recovered quickly. I chatted with people and bantered with the Orientation Group Leaders (OGLs). But I'm quite disappointed that the guys in my group kept to themselves. It's just like 4C. Hurhur. In 2F, the guys were so crappy and funny. Think Gim Koon's random remarks in class. Absolutely hilarious.

The most interesting thing that happened was probably the KI (Knowledge and Inquiry) selection test. Speaking of it, the teacher that gave the talk about KI was amazingly articulate. I love people who can talk well. I think I shall make it a point not to use Singlish when I speak, and enunciate all my "th's" clearly, and placing emphasis on the correct syllables. This requires some major dictionary reading. I think my hopes of taking the subject are well and truly dashed. The example given was so weird! Something about how education is conflicting with our sense of identity?! I guess some things are just not to be.

I was contemplating crashing colleges, but I think I'm too spineless to do so. I don't feel like going to school tomorrow! More talks and more introductory lessons. Meh.

It occured to me how 133t everyone was. 'Cream of the crop', mind. Looking around at the hall, I see faces of hardworking muggers who have been consistent and steady students in school and achieved excellent results. It's a little scary to think how clever and industrious everyone is. Cleverer and more industrious than me, that is. I don't consider PSLE results to be that significant, because no one really studies for it. I didn't really. I don't want to lag behind everyone else! But competition spurs me. I am determined to do well. (But it's so much easier to mug for Science subjects than Arts subjects - bitch.)

I went to Orchard with Erica after school. We felt quite out of place, seeing how we are no longer Dunmanians, yet we aren't officially NJCians. It sucks to be drifting in the middle of nowhere like that.

I'm sorry to say that I'm not particularly enamoured with the school. Yet. I still have high hopes!

I like the red PE shorts. They're so kitschy yet cute! I am going to buy a pair as soon as I can.

Yay. Muggerdom is catching.

1 comment:

Firehost465 said...

Usually first days of schools are boring. As days go by, i'm sure u will find your muse and start having your own clicks.

When i was in Orientation, all the "clans" are differentiated by the uniform.

Don't worry about it...

Just treat them as though as they are wearing bright pink space suits with seaweeds sticking out of their pockets.

Makes you easier to talk to them.