Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Friday, September 5, 2008

"Oh, I forgot - you don't believe in God."

A: Isn't Ai Pia Jia Eh Yia a controversial song?
B: It is? Why?
A: Because it's 70% effort and 30% heaven.
B: And why would that be controversial?
A: You see, *some* people don't believe in heaven.

I don't think theists generally achieve great success at poking fun at atheists. It's much easier for the atheist to mock the theist's beliefs, but it's hard for the theist to mock the atheist's lack of beliefs.

Traditionally, it has always been the theist's role to convince the atheist of their religion. Atheists passively reject, whereas theists actively propogate. It just doesn't make sense for theists to be poking fun at atheists by attacking their lack of a loophole. It's like prodding at nothingness. There's no belief to tear down, unless you count the belief in a godless world a veritable belief.

Furthermore, it doesn't seem very appropriate for the theist to poke fun at the atheist's lack of a belief. One would expect the theist to shake his head sadly at his comrade's refusal to accept god, yes? It's so unbecoming of a theist to resort to the atheist's childish taunts, trying to one up his friend by poking fun at his godless existence. It's not befitting of their enlightened state. Enlightened people don't resort to the ways of the mindless minions who have yet to find a suitable god.

Leave the taunting, teasing and mocking to the misguided ones. Believers should not stoop to their level.

I shall finish off with this comic.


Lol.

6 comments:

emtonmi said...

Hmm, but isn't atheism a belief in itself? It's not exactly "un-proddible"

Jin said...

jonathan: Typically religious conflicts revolve around the existence of a god, not the lack of one.

atheist: Prove to me there is a god!
theist: Let me prove to you that there is one!

It's not really like:

atheist: Let me prove to you that there isn't a god!
theist: Prove to me that there isn't a god!

Since the conflict tends to be more god-centric as opposed to non-god-centric, I'd say theism has more to prod than atheism does.

Lee Yue Heng said...

Atheism actually means a lack of a belief in a supernatural deity.

woodyooi said...

Hejin,

I am not sure if this movie is available in Singapore.. do check it out..

eve & the fire horse

http://www.eveandthefirehorse.com/

-woody

Jin said...

yueheng: I think the original intention behind saying that atheism is a sort of belief didn't originate from a confusion of what "atheism" is defined as, but because the narrow-mindedness of atheists could be considered a sort of belief too, just not in the strict sense. I'm sure you understand that, though.

woodyooi: If it is unavailable and you wish me to watch it, perhaps you could burn me a copy, if you have the original. I would be more than willing to watch it if I didn't have to do all the legwork.

woodyooi said...

Just a suggestion to watch it if you can get the DVD in S'pore. In Northern Malaysia here , I just cannot find them due to lack audience to appreciate such movie. I am still looking.

Saw the review and trailer and thought it is worth watching.

-woody