Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Excuse me.

A contemplation of a world where basic social cues are ignored.

Scene:

Double decker bus.

Characters:
Lady
Girl
Bus driver

Man 1
Man 2

Girl with earphones boards the bus. Goes up to the crowded upper deck and sits next to a sleeping lady.


Girl, head bobbing to music: [hums]

Sleeping lady awakes. Looks around and realises that her stop is the next one. Stands up and clears her throat. Girl continues humming. Lady fidgets with her bag pointedly.

Lady: Excuse me.

Girl continues humming.

Lady: Sorry, can you excuse me?

Girl continues humming. Lady taps girl's shoulder. Girl looks at lady.

Lady: *gestures* Excuse?

Lady mimes removal of earphones.

Whilst removing earphones, girl: Huh?

Lady, loudly: It's my stop next and I need to get off the bus.

Girl: Oh, okay. [Puts earphones back on.]

Lady yanks off earphones: Will you get up so I can get out of my seat?

Girl: Why should I? I paid my bus fare and I am entitled to sit wherever I want.

Lady: But I need to get off now! [yells] Hello, can somebody tell the bus driver to wait a moment?

Girl: So? I don't care what you need. Then why don't you care that I want to sit in my seat? [puts on earphones]

Lady: Can somebody get her off? I am going to be late for work.

Two men get up and try to drag her off.

Girl: EXCUSE ME! What has the world come to? Can't a girl sit on a seat that she paid for? Has it come to violence and oppression? Get your hands off me, or I'll yell molest!

Men let go.

Bus driver: 'Scuse me, but is the granny alright? I'm already behind schedule and I've already missed my break!

Lady: I am not a granny! This imbecile refuses to let me through!

Bus driver comes upstairs.

Bus driver: What's the matter? Has the granny stumbled or something?

Lady: For the last time, I am not a granny! She refuses to let me through!

Bus driver: Now, miss, couldn't you let this lady through?

Girl: She yanks my earphones off, she yells at me, and expects me to care for her needs when she does not care about mine. I did not even hear a single "please"!

End

6 comments:

Darthsid said...

Poignant!

Jin said...

darth sidious: I know, I'm an absolute genius. In this short skit I managed to cover the obnoxious, self-righteous youngish office lady, the oblivious adolescent, and most importantly, the apathetic passengers in the bus that are just watching the scene unfold.

woodyooi said...

haha , well written, also, many people these days do not use "Thank you" anymore.

Thank you,
-woody

Adrian said...

Interesting. One of your better posts.

Jin said...

adrian: Surprising, because I wrote it out in less than half an hour. The skit could've been better written, I think.

I conceived of it while noticing that every time my hands moved to grope my bag, the person sitting beside me would grope her bag too. It's pretty cool, actually.

Fen said...

Good one... This seems to be the extreme example of Singaporean behaviour... For a moment, I thought you have a super duper memory and is able to pen down every single word they say...

Wow... nice post...