Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Some analysis.

I stumbled upon a startling discovery! Thought process went like this.

I was first thinking of something someone had said, that older guys are nicer to talk to. But wait! Nicer relative to what? Older guys are nicer to talk to than younger guys? Older guys are nicer to talk to than older women? Taking into account context and everything, it was quite clearly the former. Yes, I agree that older guys are more interesting to talk to than younger guys, generally speaking. They are more mature, aren't they? Yea. So that got me thinking some more. What's the difference between immature girls and immature guys?

Then I saw the light. Naive girls think that the world is a nice place, where no one could possibly conceive to harm them. Naive boys are the opposite. Unlike girls who romanticise the world, naive boys think the world is full of bad guys -- but they think they are superheroes and can defeat them all.

I don't know how true that is, but it sounds good, so yea, that's my new theory. Hahaha.

Apparently these are the four basic motivations for people to want to affiliate, i.e. why they want to interact with others.

1. Positive stimulation
When people want to be with others to have interesting, lively interactions.
e.g. After several hours of studying in the library, just being around others and finding out about them is one of the most interesting things I can think of doing.

2. Emotional support
To have companionship when problems arise.
e.g. After receiving a very low grade on an exam.

3. Social comparison
The desire to reduce uncomfortable feelings of uncertainty about what is going on.
e.g. When class papers are returned to students, and I'm not very certain about how well I am doing at something, so I like to be around others in order to compare myself to them.

4. Attention
To receive praise or attention
e.g. When the opportunity arises to make the class laugh

So I thought about it, and came up with this.

If the average person's motivations for interacting with others are fairly equal, mine's probably like as depicted above. And my pie is smaller, because I don't seek to interact with people all that much, anyway.

Yea. Since we're on the psychology note, why don't I come up with an introduction to myself? When people are asked to answer the question "Who am I?", their answers usually fit into these following components, all of which fall under this large heading called the self-schema.

1. Interpersonal attributes
I'm a student
I'm a sister
I'm a football player

2. Ascribed charcteristics
I'm a man
I'm a nineteen-year-old
I'm Irish

3. Interests and activities
I'm into philosophy
I like cooking
I have a stamp collection

4. Existential aspects
I'm a unique individual
I'm attractive

5. Self-determination
I'm Catholic
I can attain my educational goals

6. Internalised beliefs
I'm opposed to abortion
I like modern art
I'm a Democrat

7. Self-awareness
My beliefs are well-integrated
I am a good person

8. Social differentiation
I'm from a poor family
I'm a human being
I'm gay
I'm Singaporean Chinese

I personally disagree with number 7, self-awareness, because I think being able to list down the other traits already implies some form of self-awareness, but yea, that's what it says in the book, so who's to argue? Using this template, perhaps I can come up with some kind of introduction of myself, which I've always been grappling with.

No comments: