At least, that's what I think. I think the Chinese language is so much more humble and sociocentric than English. There is never an exact equivalent for a word in one language from another. That's why there's such a plethora of languages; to capture the subtle nuances of expression. That being said, no two words within a single language are congruent, so a synonym doesn't always encompass all the meanings of a word. For example, envious and jealous may have similar meanings, yet each of them possesses its own baggage that sets them apart, which warrants the necessity for two different words.
Do listen to these songs; it's the same song, All Of Me, interpreted by two different jazz singers, Frank Sinatra and Billie Holiday.
There are loads of other songs out there that have been covered by more than one artiste, such as Mack The Knife, which both Bobby Darin and Michael Buble sang. I happen to have both versions, but I'm not too familiar with the song, so I'm quite unable to compare the two. Whereas for Frank Sinatra's rendition of All Of Me, I replay it over and over again in my mp3 player all the time (until lately the pair of earphones I was using got busted by ill-treatment, so now I'm earphone-less), so I practically know all the words. I daresay that both Billie Holiday's and Frank Sinatra's renditions have their own merits, but having been accustomed to Frank Sinatra's, I prefer his. It's more cheerful; Billie Holiday sounds so melancholy. But they're both very emotive, definitely.
**********
I went to the ACJC Fun-O-Rama carnival thingy. It was very vibrant, unlike any other funfairs I've been to before. (I can only recall going to Xinmin Secondary's funfair, and I can't compare a secondary school's and a junior college's funfair) The stuff was unfortunately overpriced, yet I have justified the $20 I spent on cheap food and tacky games by including the rewards of getting to meet up with Jane, and immersing myself in the racuous atmosphere.
She had reckoned I wouldn't go, save for my inclination to socialise. I don't like to socialise per se, but I like observing social phenomena, so it was a good enough reason for me to go. Yep. I don't know if it's just me, but I think I saw a lot of good looking people there. Not just the students, but the visitors too.


No comments:
Post a Comment