Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

M:SG - Calling the Aliens; more on interesting people and some on flirting.

On Saturday, 14 of us attempted to contact aliens in Marina Square. Despite having only formulated the mission the day before, it was quite successful. We gathered at the central open space of Marina Square at a fixed time, and pointed our phones in the air. While Syamil and I were descending from the escalator to get to the open space where a few people had already gathered, we made small talk like:

"I think I can hear it already, can you?"

"Ya I can! Oh look at those people over there! I think they're getting the signal too!"

And we jostled past the trio in front of us. They must have been quite weirded out, because their attention was already caught by the weirdos in front of them, aiming their phones at the ceiling, and then they heard us chatting animatedly about it. Here is a video that our videographer took.

It was extremely amusing to see the upturned faces of bewilderment and curiosity on strangers' faces. We were doing it for five minutes. This mat guy even went up to one of us to ask what was going on. Of course we told him we were trying to contact aliens. ;)


Seriously, I don't know half the people who were engaged in the mission, but it was cool nonetheless to have an assortment of so many different kinds of people, uniting to do this crazy shit. Btw, I totally didn't expect Wai Shing and Boonwei to turn up. It's a small world, I tell you. If you're keen on joining future missions, let me know! Maybe some day, if we can get the numbers, we can pull off a really massive prank. And that'd be bloody cool.

********

Sorry that I have to cram this entry with other personal ramblings because I simply have too much to say. I had a very engaging conversation with Hui Fang last night, and she raised this interesting point. That my interest in interesting people is only a means to collect assorted personality profiles for my horde.

To a certain extent, yes, I am only interested in certain people because I think that they have fascinating minds worth exploring. However, with extended periods of contact and conversation, emotional attachment will inevitably occur, and the blossoming of a real friendship might be in lieu.

This probably explains my short-term yet intense fascination with certain people. I wanted to use the expression "san fen zhong re du", because I think it's more apt. I can get quite obsessed over them initially, but after a period of time, I may:

1. Realise that they were not as interesting as I thought
2. Think I've found out all there is to know about them

And then I gradually stop talking to them. The impetus which had initially driven me to spek to them isn't there anymore, and especially for option (1), emotional bonds have yet to form, therefore I have little or no guilt in halting our interactions. As for option (2), I've grown bored of them, and I think I can figure them out to a tee, so there really isn't much to exchange anymore. But it's not that I will immediately discard an acquaintance once I start to get bored. Depending on the emotional development, I may decide to press on for a while longer, until I really cannot bear with it. There is also a third option, which is:

3. They're so unpredictable, they fuck my mind up.

Initially, the mystery that envelopes them is intriguing and alluring, but after a while, especially if I have already formed emotional attachment, it can get frustrating and tiring to always second-guess their motives. My heart says go, but my mind says no.

There's a fine balance that needs to be treaded upon, I think. On one hand, the more you get to know someone, the more unique they become. (I generally just lump people into stereotypes unless I get an opportunity to speak to them, and if I've already lumped them into stereotypes, I probably wouldn't be driven to speak to them in the first place.) However, the more you get to know someone, the more familiar you are with him/her, and that person becomes predictable and boring.

UNLESS that person can always provide fresh and invaluable insights, then that is probably the mark of a truly interesting person. But it's difficult. Hmmm. And I always had a problem with categorising the uncategorisable. By putting people into a group labelled "interesting", aren't you already confining them to certain boundaries? It's similar to how people define god as "omnipotent". This label describes him as all-powerful, but by slapping a label onto god, it already puts him into a box. Quite paradoxical. But maybe it's all just words. Words words words.

I wonder when my store of fresh and invaluable insights would ever run out. Or would it ever?

I think I need to go around asking what people think makes an interesting person. Just for research purposes.

I think those I consider boring people may be considered interesting by those that I consider boring people, whereas people whom I consider interesting may be considered boring by those that I consider boring. It's a matter of "kindred spirits", or "the race that knows Joseph", if you are familiar with the Anne of Green Gables series. Yep yep.

One way to flirt is actually to talk about flirting. We all know that pick-up lines don't ever work. But talking about pick-up lines may work better. Okay, you know about the one that involves you holding your target's hand, then you say: "There is a river dividing your palm. One one side is a bunny, and the bunny wants to get to the other side. How?" After a series of futile answers, you then reveal: "Oh, there really isn't an answer, I just wanted to hold your hand."

I think a cleverer way may be to actually say, "You know, there's this really stupid pick-up line about bunnies crossing rivers. Let me show it to you. *repeat above* Lame right?!"

Or you can even go one step higher, and discuss about people who pretend to talk about pick-up lines. "You know those people who pretend to be dicussing pick-up lines when actually it's just an excuse for them to use it?" It kinda creates a shared sense of awareness and exclusivity, as if both of you are let into an inside joke, and it also makes the doer appear to have a wry sense of humour and an acute sense of awareness, and perhaps a hint of self-depreciation, or even egoism, depending on the approach taken. Which are all quite endearing traits.

Maybe it would be simpler to use the more direct method with some people, i.e. just performing the bunny story without any foreword. It all boils down to who you wanna attract.

Yea, just thinking about it.

P.S. I watched P.S. I Love You with Erica. Draggy movie. Tried to bank on the plot and tearjerking-ness, but insufficient to redeem the unnatural script and poor organisation of scenes. Might be worth a download.

No comments: