Things I wanna do when I turn 18:
Learn how to drive
Get Lasik done on my ailing eyesight
Hopefully have a solid idea of what I wanna do in the future
Hopefully working towards moving out.
I think it's time to come clean regarding the previous post.
Anyway, here's a literary analysis of the story. I just thought I'd explain why I chose to write in first person point of view for the girlfriend, and limited omniscient point of view for the boyfriend. Usually, the first person point of view is meant to establish intimacy. However, it also means that there is some kind of bias involved. By writing in the first person, I establish the kind of intimacy that isn't necessarily welcome, so the girlfriend comes off as more off-putting, as she appears very bimbotic and self-centred. She wants to go out with guys, but she doesn't really care how her boyfriend feels. Everything is all about what she thinks and what she wants.
The reason why I wrote the boyfriend part in limited omniscient point of view (i.e. third person limited) is because it gives a sense of tragic heroism. If it were written from first person point of view, he'd appear much too whiny and self-sacrificial, don't you think so? "I'm so tired, I'm so sick, but I'll do anything to make my girlfriend happy, so off I go!" So yea, writing in the third person limited makes you sympathise with his circumstances more.
I really should write more of these stories, shouldn't I? I've one more potential story up my sleeve. There's quite a lot of room for theatrics, which is great...
At least the lunch sessions sort of make up for it. I had a really interesting conversation with two of my colleagues over lunch today. We winded up talking about anti-establishmentarianism (what a mouthful!), decadence of today's society and degradation of human consciousness. On retrospect, quite pretentious topics, but it was still interesting hearing opinions from people a little more worldly than myself.
I'm actually so into my telemarketing job that just now when I asked Jason if I could call him back, I put on my sweet, demure and high-pitched voice and went: "Can I call you back later? Okay, thank you very much! Bye!"
Something I've learnt through telemarketing. As a female, it's much easier to speak to guys. Even my manager agrees. "Yah lah, once they hear a young girl speaking to them on the phone they sure listen up one." Good for me lor. Act cute can already. Even if they have to reject me, they'll do it more gently. Guys. So susceptible and easily manipulated. Tut.
But speaking of which, my colleague actually admitted that he only buys bouquets because it pleases his girlfriend. In that sense, he's actually manipulating her. Isn't it quite awful, if you think about it? You're using vegetation to barter for your girlfriend's love. But aren't many gifts built on that basis? One should really only give something because you want them to have it, not because you want something out of it.
I think this is very funny. It's from
"Eh, you make t[h]e hum insite my hud wom-wom."
At first, I was like, huh. What a weird conglomeration of vowels and consonants. Then I said it aloud...
I paused. And then I laughed.
I like to eat hum.
A new week begins again! Looks set to be exciting.


1 comment:
Haha, first name terms are fine with me.
Post a Comment