Life dissected, for your voyueristic pleasure.

Saturday, November 3, 2007

My secret project!


More and more Mickey Mouse. I am not a GREAT fan of Mickey Mouse, but he's one of my more preferred Disney characters. The rest are a bit... sell-out? Uninspired? Unoriginal? Though I understand that Mickey Mouse was created because someone or some company was bankrupt, but still. He's the original cartoon. I've been asking around whether anybody likes Mickey Mouse, and people think I'm weird cos I'm asking random questions.


The entire stretch of fabric! It almost looks a red carpet, eh? Just that it's a Mickey Mouse carpet... Maybe it can be used for Disney Channel events? If you squint, you can see my handphone lying forlornly in the vastness, for scale.


The circles being cut. I quite like to see projects in progress. If I'm only presented pictures of the initial materials and the final product, I get a little incredulous. It's as if someone just gathered the raw materials and got someone else to make the thing, you know.

I still haven't told you what I've made, but maybe you'll get a clue if you see the next picture...


Bags and bags of polystyrene pellets! More commonly known as styrofoam... I've been waiting for these forever. I finished sewing up the case on Wednesday after getting the fabric on Sunday, but I had to keep waiting, which was really annoying. Oh, Angela wanted to make one too, so I ordered some beans for her too! We went out yesterday to get fabric, and then we headed to her house to cut out the panels and stuff. Hers is of a different shape... We'll see how it looks like when it's done!

What am I making?! Or what have I made, rather.

A BEAN BAG!!!!!


That's my darling brother modelling it for me. Isn't he lanky?




I also inserted a zip, for easy removal of cover for washing. I also created a zippered inner lining so I can conveniently top up the beans if required. I hope the seams don't rip. It'll be like winter wonderland with all the styrofoam beans floating around.


Super unglam. But you're not supposed to pose glam-ly on bean bags, anyway. You're supposed to sink in and melt.


Trying to be a bit more glam...




It's huge, ain't it? I could've made it smaller... but I was afraid it wouldn't support my neck, and that would be pretty frustrating. I might as well just lie on my bed, if it was gonna be just like a giant ottoman. So, my mantra was: the bigger the better!

Haha, my mum tried sitting on it, and she said, "Wah, old people cannot sit... so difficult to stand up." Heh. Built-in deterrent against unwanted adults, eh? Only people with strong quads need apply! ;)

Shabana initially offered to pay me $120 to make one for her... I was like, hell no. A local beanbag company, Snugg, sells their beanbags above $200. (If you're interested, my beanbag most resembles this one, The Chill Pill) Molecule sells their beanbags above $150 to $200 plus, if I'm not wrong. And their beanbags are mass produced! For a lot of the things I make, it's not necessarily cheaper to DIY, but I just enjoy the process of creating something from scratch.

YAY!!!

Now, I can't wait to see Angela's bean bag... Considering it's the first time she's sewing, so far she's been making pretty good progress! Whee.

Well. Even though I rejected the paltry price of $120, I'm not necessarily rejecting any other offers to create customised bean bags. Price negotiable. ;)

3 comments:

Mr A said...

the chinese furniture in your house is very nice.

Jin said...

purpledog13: Thank you very much.

Evelyn said...

oooo. SO NICE! i wanna lie on it tooooo! can you email me the best price you can offer? hehe. (:
thanks!
ooievelyn@gmail.com